In Windows 7 we have Windows Diagnostic but I would no longer recommend it. Then best tool to run the Memory Diagnostic is to Download MemTest86+ – Advance Memory Diagnostic Tool
Here a some new features
- First pass twice faster (reduced iterations)
- Detect DDR2/3 brands and part numbers on Intel DDR2/3 chipsets
- Added detection for Intel “Clarkdale” CPU
- Added detection for Intel “Gulftown” CPU
- Added detection for AMD “Magny-Cours” CPU
- Added detection for Intel XMP Memory
- Added for CPU w/ 0.5/1.5/3/6/12/16/18/24MB L3
- Added “clean” DMI detection for DDR3/FBDIMM2
- Better detection of Integrated Memory Controllers
You can download the ISO Image from their website an burn it to a Disk,
Here are some Known issues with MemTest86+
Sometimes when booting from a floppy disk the following messages scroll up on the screen:
This is the BIOS reporting floppy disk read errors. Try re-writing the disk. If that does not work replace the disk.
Memtest86 can not diagnose many types of PC failures. For example a faulty CPU that causes Windows to crash will most likely just cause Memtest86 to crash in the same way.
Often the memory works in a different system or the vendor insists that it is good. In these cases the memory is not necessarily bad but is not able to operate reliably at Athlon speeds. Sometimes more conservative memory timings on the motherboard will correct these errors. In other cases the only option is to replace the memory with better quality, higher speed memory. Don’t buy cheap memory and expect it to work with an Athlon! On occasion test 5 errors will occur even with name brand memory and a quality motherboard. These errors are legitimate and should be corrected.
How to Download MemTest86+ to a Disk ?
1, First go to this website: MemTest86+
2, Download the ISO image Memtest86+ V4.10
3, Download Imgburn
4. Load ImgBurn
5. Switch to ‘Write’ mode.
5b. Click the ‘Mode’ menu at the top and then the ‘Write’ option.
6. Insert blank CD
7. Select a file to write by clicking on the ‘Browse for file’ button.
8. Click the big ‘Write’ button.
Running MemTest86+ from USB stick. If your using Netbook or if you don’t have a Disk Drive the follow these instructions to run the Memtest86+ from USB
Hard Drive Diagnostic
We’re going to use the command prompt method of running the program, since it gives more visual feedback:
Open the command prompt by going to ‘start/run’ and typing ‘cmd.’ Right Click and Run as administrator.
From the command prompt, type ‘chkdsk /v (the drive letter you wish to check):’ and hit ENTER. CHKDSK will do a quick scan of the drive, then inform you if it found any errors.
Now run ‘chkdsk /R (same drive letter): to perform a full surface scan for bad sectors and fix any errors. Chances are you will be requested to restart the computer in order to carry this out, since the utility needs exclusive access to the disk in order to do a surface scan and fix errors.
Once you have restarted and CHKDSK has carried out the surface scan, Windows will boot normally. For a log of the results, right-click ‘my computer’ and select ‘manage,’ then open up ‘event viewer\applications’.
FJDT (Fujitsu ATA Diagnostic Tool) work with IDE/ATA/SCSI drives. It can perform random seek/read tests along with more detailed surface scans.
Drive Fitness Test tests any brand of desktop and notebook hard drive and logs error events for easy tracking. Checks for cable and temperature problems.
Bought by Seagate. See Seagate entry below.
HUTIL Drive Diagnostic Utility works exclusively with Samsung hard drives and can function regardless of the state of your PC’s operating system.
SeaTools for Windows tests USB, ATA, SATA, SCSI, and 1394 drives. It works with all kinds of hard drives including Maxtor. DOS version also available
Data LifeGuard Diagnostics tool can test and repair WD FireWire, USB, or EIDE drives.
Also you could Download Ultimate Boot CD
You need the Ultimate Boot CD if you want to:
- Run floppy-based diagnostic tools from CDROM drives. More and more PCs are shipped without floppy drives these days, and it is such a royal pain when you need to run diagnostic tools on them.
- Free yourself from the slow loading speed of the floppy drive. Even if you do have a floppy drive, it is still much much faster to run your diagnostic tools from the CDROM drive, rather than wait for the tool to load from the floppy drive.
- Consolidate as many diagnostic tools as possible into one bootable CD. Wouldn’t you like to avoid digging into the dusty box to look for the right floppy disk, but simply run them all from a single CD? Then the Ultimate Boot CD is for you!
- New! Run Ultimate Boot CD from your USB memory stick. A script on the CD prepares your USB memory stick so that it can be used on newer machines that supports booting from USB devices. You can access the same tools as you would from the CD version.
Other Hardware Troubleshooting
· Make sure you not Overclocking because Overclocking can end up in BSOD’s
· Make sure you PC is adequately cooled because Over heat can end up in BSOD. The best way to rule out these issues would be Open your side panel and point a Home fan squared to your Motherboard
· You could use Speedfan software to double check the speed and Temperature
· Make sure you have enough Power if you don’t have consider upgrading your PSU
Display Card Diagnostic
Most of them might be using nVidia or ATI. So here I’ll suggest a method you cleanup the Drivers
For nVidia Cards: –
Check this Page for cleanup Guide: nVidia Cleanup Guide !!
So after doing so still you have problems the next steps would to run a Stress Tests on the card to see whether its a defective card.
Try this free video stress test: FurMark: Graphics Card Stability and Stress Test, OpenGL Benchmark and GPU Temperature | oZone3D.Net
- If you have more than one GPU, select Multi-GPU during setup
- In the Run mode box, select “Stability Test” and “Log GPU Temperature”
Click “Go” to start the test
- Run the test until the GPU temperature maxes out – or until you start having problems (whichever comes first).
NOTE: Set the alarm to go off at 90ºC. Then watch the system from that point on. If the system doesn’t display a temperature, watch it constantly and turn it off at the first sign of video problems. DO NOT leave it it unmonitored, it can DAMAGE your video card!!!
- Click “Quit” to exit
Try this free stress test: Free Software – GIMPS
- extract the contents of the zip file to a location of your choice
- double click on the executable file
- select “Just stress testing”
- select the “Blend” test. If you’ve already run MemTest overnight please run the “Small FFTs” test instead. (run all 3 if you find a problem and note how long it takes to error out with each)
- “Number of torture test threads to run” should equal the number of CPU’s times 2 (if you’re using hyperthreading).
The easiest way to figure this out is to go to Task Manager…Performance tab – and see the number of boxes under CPU Usage History
Then run the test for 6 to 24 hours – or until you get errors (whichever comes first).
This won’t necessarily crash the system – but check the output in the test window for errors.
The Test selection box and the stress.txt file describes what components that the program stresses.
More details on the use of this test: Torture test your CPU with Prime95
Two other video stress tests (may be more stressful than FurMark):
Video Memory stress Test – ÐœÐ˜Ð NVIDIA / Ð£Ñ‚Ð¸Ð»Ð¸Ñ‚Ñ‹ / VMT
Artifact Locator – ÐœÐ˜Ð NVIDIA / Ð£Ñ‚Ð¸Ð»Ð¸Ñ‚Ñ‹ / Artifact Locator
Sorry, but I don’t read the language that this website is made in.
- Suggested By John (usasma)
You could Take this Memory Stress Test
- Over heating of GPU or CPU again resulting in corrupt data being communicated. Point a house fan at the video card, take temperature readings from the card with an IR detector (or your finger – but be very, very careful!!!
- GPU failure due to any sort of issue from insufficient power to heat. Check the power leads, use a multimeter to check the power output, try another, more powerful PSU – Suggested By John (usasma)
Sometime the Bugcheck might be STOP 0×116: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR which we follow the above steps to resolve it.
MemtestG80 and MemtestCL: Memory Testers for CUDA- and OpenCL-enabled GPUs:
MemtestG80 and MemtestCL are a software-based testers to test for “soft errors” in GPU memory or logic for NVIDIA CUDA-enabled or OpenCL-enabled (of any manufacturer) GPUs. They use a variety of proven test patterns (some custom and some based on Memtest86) to verify the correct operation of GPU memory and logic. They are useful tools to ensure that given GPUs do not produce “silent errors” which may corrupt the results of a computation without triggering an overt error.
Available Downloads and Their Potential Uses: This project offers prebuilt binaries as well as source code for the CUDA-based MemtestG80 tester (NVIDIA-only) and OpenCL-based MemtestCL (vendor-agnostic).
Purpose/Synopsis: MemtestG80 and MemtestCL are software-based tester to test for “soft errors” in GPU memory or logic for GPUs supporting CUDA or OpenCL.
Audience: Users (scientific and general) of NVIDIA/ATI GPUs interested in verifying the correct operation of their hardware.
Long Term Goals and Related Uses: 1) MemtestG80/CL allows end-users to verify the correct operation of their hardware under their own environmental conditions.
2) GPU software developers can integrate the MemtestG80/CL code into their own projects prior to distribution as an added self-test mechanism on target machines.
CPU Stress Tests:
Only need to run 1 or 2 of the tests under most circumstances. I haven’t used any of the tests myself, so I listed all that I was able to find.
- 7Byte : Hot CPU Tester Pro
- 7Byte : BurnIn64
- CPU Stress test
- Fossil Free Online CPU Load or Stress Test.
- CPU Stability Test description, System Resources Tune-Up. Downloads List By All Time Popularity | PCWorld | PCWorld
- CPU Stress test
- |MG| CPU Stability Test 6.0 Download
- LinX – A simple Linpack interface
- the test(s) suggested at this link are bootable: Headless CPU Stress Testing
Thanks to John(usasma) for letting me know about this.